Wednesday, November 30, 2011

First real issue with My Truck - Malfunction Indicator Light on 2005 Dodge Ram

Last night I towed my boat to where I store it, on the way home I noticed the Malfunction Indicator Light come on. The Malfunction Indicator Light on a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 looks like an outline of the engine and is in the upper left corner of the instrument panel cluster and is lit in yellow. Normal operation should be that it comes on when you turn your key on, as a bulb check, then goes off. I learned all of this after I got home and researched it a little in the owners manual and online. There are multiple reasons this light may come on. The dealer here in Tampa told me that there were about 55 reasons. I am not sure so I just believed him and then started to research it more as to the reason for the light. First the symptom were as follows:
1. The light came on and was steady.
2. The light seemed to flash under acceleration but at a stop light would go to steady on.
3. NO CHANGE in the motor function or sound.
4. Under heavy acceleration I did have a hiccup in the acceleration....(not sure if I should have floored it but I did to see)
No other symptoms were noted.
SO now know the symptoms and talking to the dealer I did some searches on the internet. "Malfunction Indicator Light on a Dodge Ram" the results came back with a bunch of DODGE forum answers and JUST ASK answers that pointed me towards two things.
1. there are a lot of different reasons for the light
2. Go to a local parts retailer like "Advanced Auto" and have them read the engine code.
So that is where I am at and I will be going tonight to have the code read. Look for PART 2 of this post with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment